Popular Posts

Selena Gomez Dedicates Billboard Woman of the Year Award to BFF

You may remember that earlier this year Selena Gomez revealed that the reason for her disappearance from the spotlight over the summer was down to a medical condition she was suffering from. Not only had she been struggling with having Lupus, but she eventually found that she needed an kidney transplant urgently.

 Thankfully, she was helped out by her best friend, Francia Raisa, who stepped up and donated one of her kidneys to Gomez. The 25-year-old singer told this story to the world through an Instagram post, which showed photos of her recovering from the surgery alongside her friend. The post amassed over 10 million likes, which isn't surprising seeing as Gomez has the world's most popular Instagram account.


"There aren’t words to describe how I can possibly thank my beautiful friend Francia Raisa," she wrote in the post, "She gave me the ultimate gift and sacrifice by donating her kidney to me. I am incredibly blessed. I love you so much sis."


This week, the duo were seen together on the red carpet, as they attended the 2017 Billboard Women In Music event. It was at this event that the singer was given the Woman of the Year award, which was presented to her by Raisa alongside actress Elle Fanning.



"When we first met, we bonded immediately," Francia said on stage. "When I found out I was a match for Selena, I didn’t think twice about it." Then, when it came time for Selena to make her speech, she dedicated the award to Francia for saving her life:


"To be honest, I think Francia should be getting this award. Because she saved my life," she said, barely holding back the tears. “I got to do a lot this year even though I had a couple of other things to do but I feel like for me, with my music, I’ve really been able to illustrate the things that I want and I’m reminded by a team of people who believe in me, even when I don’t myself. And I couldn’t be luckier.”


Her speech then went on to highlight what it feels like to be honored with this award, and how she feels about being a woman in the music industry:
"I’ve never proud this proud to be a woman in the industry than I do today and that’s because I actually feel comfortable with every single woman that has encouraged me."


"But how crucial it is that the voices that are being heard for the first time is so great and I’m so grateful for all the older women who have lifted all of us up because I couldn’t be here without any of you. So thank you for all of you that have inspired so many girls who don’t feel like they have a voice."


It's great to know that the singer is marching on with her career and finding a positive spin on her brush with death, and it looks like she's got plenty more to give to the world with this new lease on life.

Previous
Next Post »